Top Trumps is a card game from the UK that became popular in the 1970s. The company produces “Specials” sets based on current movies, sports, and other sources. They produced three separate LOTR sets, apparently distributed in conjunction with the film releases, one Promo Card (The Balrog), and a Limited Edition boxed set with all three games plus nine exclusive “Super Top Trumps” cards.
Each card includes the character’s name, a photograph, and a “Fact File” that lists:
- Culture (e.g., Hobbit, Human, Elf, Orc)
- Resistance to the Ring (on a 1 to 5 scale, with Sauron having the maximum resistance of 5)
- Resilience (on a 1 to 10 scale, with 10 being the most resilient)
- Ferocity (on a 1 to 70 scale, with 70 being the most ferocious)
- Magic (on a 0 to 20 scale, with Sauron, The Ring, Gandalf the White, and Saruman having the highest magic ratings)
Each of the three card packs has a different set of characters, according to which movie it is. Also, strength statistics can change over time for the same character. (For instance, Frodo’s resistance to the Ring decreases with each set from FOTR to TTT to ROTK.)
Exclusive Super Top Trump Cards (only available in the Limited Edition Trilogy Gift Set).
- Bag End
- The Black Gate
- Helms Deep
- King of the Dead
- Minas Morgul
- Minas Tirith
- The Balrog promo card for Top Trumps was available with purchase of tickets for The Two Towers from Odeon Cinemas in the UK.
Top Trumps FOTR
Top Trumps TTT
Top Trumps ROTK