Soundtrack Editions, Release Dates, and Reviews
The following information on release dates has been gleaned from several sites, primarily The Lord of the Rings Soundtrack website.
Filmtracks has some of the most detailed information available on soundtracks, including reviews, track listings, and other comments.
The Fellowship of the Ring Releases
- FOTR Filmtracks review and data.
- Standard and Limited Edition (red leatherette) Soundtracks – November 20, 2001
- Complete Recordings Box Set – December 13, 2005
The Two Towers Releases
- TTT Filmtracks review and data.
- Standard, Limited Edition (blue leatherette), and Internet (brown leatherette) Soundtracks – December 10, 2002
- Complete Recordings Box Set – November 7, 2006
The Return of the King Releases
- ROTK Filmtracks review and data.
- Standard Edition Soundtrack – November 25, 2003
- Limited Edition (green leatherette) and Internet (burgundy leatherette) Soundtracks – December 9, 2003
- Complete Recordings Box Set – November 20, 2007
The Lord of the Rings – Other Releases
- LOTR Trilogy Box Set – December 9, 2003 – set of all three Standard Editions in a slipcase.
- Rarities Archive – October 5, 2010 – CD packaged with the book, The Music of The Lord of the Rings Films: A Comprehensive Account of Howard Shore’s Scores, by Doug Adams (Alfred Music, 2010. ISBN 0739071572).
The Filmtracks review for each film’s soundtrack includes an extensive discussion of that film’s Complete Recordings edition and Rarities Archive material.
Many of the LOTR soundtracks have “enhanced” or exclusive content that links to online websites. These links were set up between 10 to 15 years ago, and may be obsolete or the content may be absent or inaccessible, even if the CD itself plays in a computer.