Images and additional details forthcoming.
Blu-Ray Theatrical Edition Marketing
Theatrical Edition Official Press Release
The following press release comes from the Warner Bros. News Room:
Blu-ray Theatrical Edition Press Kit
I am not aware of any press kits – paper or digital – produced for the Blu-ray Theatrical release, and only one paper-based press kit for the Blu-ray Extended Edition release.
Blu-ray Theatrical Edition Promotional Posters
Warner apparently released very few promotional US or international posters for their Blu-ray Trilogy sets – the Theatrical or the Extended. The only two I can recall seeing for auction on eBay US were this German poster, with an overall blue effect, and an Australian one, which had more browns. (Browns, gold tones, and blues were the main colors used for the design on the LOTR Blu-ray Trilogy packagings.) The artwork for both was relatively similar.
Perhaps by the time the Blu-ray editions were released – 2010 for the Theatrical and 2011 for the Extended – there were multiple factors affecting this. I can think of a few possible reasons:
- By then, more advertising was online than in brick-and-mortar stores. By this time, Blockbusters and Borders were facing financial troubles, and online purchases were increasing. So, there was far more limited window and wall space for advertising.
- There were far fewer “exclusive feature” versions – mostly BestBuy US with a miniature Andúril sword for the Theatrical and with six chess figurines for the Extended – and so far less reason for specialized advertising.
- Lord of the Rings fans had been waiting for over five years since the last releases of the DVD Extended Edition in 2004 and the Limited Edition in 2006. By 2010/2011, far more people had Blu-ray equipment, so the consumer market was far more aware and ready for the Blu-ray LOTR releases.
- Top – First time ever in stunning Blu-ray! Own it on Blu-ray. April 15.
- Bottom – Unleash the power of your HDTV.
- Top third (left to right) – Aragorn with Anduril, Gandalf the White, Saruman, battle scene.
- Middle third – the three separate Blu-ray Theatrical releases, showing the individual packagings. From left to right: FOTR, TTT, ROTK.
- Bottom third – Galadriel; Arwen; Elrond; Gollum, Sam, and Frodo at the Black Gate; Boromir.
Size: 67cm wide x 96cm high = approximately 26.375″ wide x 37.75″ high
Slogans (with rough translations from high school German plus Google):
- Top bar – Die legendären kinoabenteuer erstmals auf Blu-ray. (The legendary cinematic adventure, for the first time on Blu-ray.)
- Center area – Der Herr Der Ringe. (The Lord of the Rings.) Die Spielfilm Trilogie. (The Trilogy Film.)
Artwork: The German poster features a collage of characters as portrayed in scenes from all three movies:
- FOTR – Bilbo at Rivendell, Elrond, Arwen, and Galadriel, Merry and Pippin, Ringwraiths on horses.
- TTT – Gandalf the White, Legolas, Theoden and Eowyn, the flight to Helms Deep.
- ROTK – Aragorn; Gollum, Samwise, and Frodo at the Black Gate.
It also includes the image of the Theatrical Trilogy boxset (dark brown with holographic gold Tengwar lettering of The One Ring.
Size and Print Details: This is a portrait-oriented A1 size (59.4 cm wide x 84.1 cm high) – the equivalent of eight A4 sheets. Equivalent in inches: 23.5″ wide x 33″ high). It is printed on thick, glossy paper.
LOTR Trilogy Promotional Playing Card Set ~ DVD & Blu-Ray
This playing card set was included with both DVD and Blu-ray LOTR Trilogy promotions.
- Playing card set in special brown deck box. The Lord of the Rings. The Motion Picture Trilogy. Box was inside a drawstring bag made of cheesecloth (approximately 3.75″ x 6″), printed on the front in brown ink: The Lord of the Rings. The Motion Picture Trilogy. Relive the Journey on DVD. 52 cards with back that matches the artwork on the box, 2 jokers (one is Gollum, the other is Sméagol), and 2 additional cards advertising DVD versions of the trilogy.
- Relive the Journey – Each two-disc DVD includes: The theatrical version of the film. Hours of bonus features. (Image of the three DVD cases.) Back side of card gives Academy Awards details. [See list below.]
- Extend the Journey – Each 4-disc Special Extended DVD Edition includes: The Extended version of the film. Hours of never-before-seen bonus features, including commentaries, documentaries, interactive maps, galleries, and more. (Image of the three Extended cases.) Back side of card gives trivia. [See list below.]
Trilogy – Winner of 17 Academy Awards
- The Fellowship of the Ring (2001). Cinematography, Makeup, Music (Original Score), and Visual Effects.
- The Two Towers (2002). Sound Editing and Visual Effects.
- The Return of the King (2003). Art Direction, Costume Design, Film Editing, Makeup, Music (Original Score), Music (Original Song), Sound Mixing, Visual Effects, Writing (Adapted Screenplay), Directing, and Best Picture.
Trivia Card – Special Extended DVD Edition
- 681 minutes total running time of films, including credits.
- 200 new digital effects shots added to The Two Towers.
- 124 total minutes of footage added to the Special Extended Editions.
- 110 people interviewed for The Return of the King bonus features.
- 60 minutes of new score composed for The Fellowship of the Ring.
- 46 hours total running time of all 12 commentary tracks.
- 4 discs in each Extended DVD, which includes the movie and all-new bonus features.
- 1 Ring to Rule Them All.
The playing cards feature:
- Jokers (2). Gollum. Sméagol.
- Spades. Ace – Sauron. King – Saruman. Queen – Ringwraith. Jack – Trolls. Concept Art background – Mount Doom.
- Diamonds. Ace – Gandalf. King – Aragorn. Queen – Gimli. Jack – Boromir. Concept Art background – Gondor.
- Clubs. Ace – Frodo. King – Sam. Queen – Merry. Jack – Pippin. Concept Art background – Bag End.
- Hearts. Ace – Galadriel. King – Elrond. Queen – Arwen. Jack – Legolas. Concept Art background – Rivendell.
Other Blu-Ray Theatrical Edition Promotions
Pin (3″ round). The Lord of the Rings. The Motion Picture Trilogy. The Ultimate Blu-ray Experience.
Pendant or Hanging Ornament on Blue Ribbon – Blue light mesh drawstring bag (3.5″ tall x 2.5″ wide). Heavy pendant in pewter-tone metal. The pendant consist of a circle (1.25″ diameter) with an approximately .25″ wide ring on the outside and a .625″ solid circle on the inside. It is peweter-tone with dark blue enameling. It says: “The Lord of the Rings. The Return of the King.” The inner circle piece has a vertical pole through it so that it can spin in the middle of the pendant. The pendant/ornament is tied with a blue light mesh ribbon (.625″ wide) on which it is strung. In the eBay auction for this item there was also a small vanilla candle in a can (2.5″ diameter x .875″ high). The can is silver-tone with black printing: “The Legend Comes to Life. The Lord of the Rings. The Fellowship of the Ring.”
New Zealand Jade Necklace. Small cylindrical shape, stored in a small ziplock bag with a card having details.
BestBuy Pre-Order Theatrical Edition SteelbookTM
Image and additional details forthcoming on the box and SteelbookTM description.
Front Tabs Text
Get this collectible SteelbookTM case free when you pre-order The Lord of the Rings motion picture trilogy on Blu-ray. $5 deposit required. See back for details. Blu-ray discs and DVDs not included in SteelbookTM case.
Available April 6.
Also receive: $5 off, The Lord of the Rings: Aragorn’s QuestTM video game for the Nintendo WiiTM. Coupon expires10/15/2010. Coupon redeemable only at Best Buy. And a $50 off coupon code for Sideshow CollectiblesTM. Expires on 6/1/11. Redeemable on Sideshow Collectibles website for select items only. See inside for details.
Back Cover Text
Blu-ray was made for a journey like this …
“All three films are equal and indispensable to the tale being told. The Rings trilogy is more than a movie. It’s a colossus on the march into screen legend.” – Peter Travers, ROLLING STONE.
All 3 Theatrical Versions in Lustrous 1080p and DTS-HD Master Audio 6.1.
[It then gives information on Academy Awards® and procedures for redeeming the pre-sell certificate.]
STEP 1: Present this deposit certificate and SteelbookTM to ANY cashier between 3/7/10 – 4/5/10.
STEP 2: Pay the $5.00 deposit towards the purchase of The Lord of the Rings Motion Picture Trilogy on Blu-ray. And obtain receipt for verification.
STEP 3: Retain your receipt verifying your paid deposit. TO OBTAIN CREDIT FOR THE DEPOSIT, YOUR RECEIPT MUST BE PRESENTED WHEN PICKING UP THE LORD OF THE RINGS MOTION PICTURE TRILOGY ON BLU-RAY.
STEP 4: Return to the store where the deposit was made between 4/6/10 – 4/27/10. (Availability date is subject to change. Product will be held two weeks after arrival date.) Proceed to customer service with The Lord of the Rings Motion Picture Trilogy on Blu-ray and deposit receipt. Present cashier with Blu-ray and deposit receipt. Pay the existing balance due.
NOTE: This $5 deposit is towards the purchase price of The Lord of the Rings Motion Picture Trilogy on Blu-ray. All pre-order receipts MUST be redeemed at Customer Service. Pre-order receipt is not good past the expiration date. If not redeemed by 4/27/10 the receipt may be refunded at Customer Service. No photo copies or facsimiles of pre-order receipt will be accepted. Release date subject to change. Redeemable only at the Best Buy retail store location where deposit was placed. Offer is not valid with other discounts, special bonus or free offer, or promotions. Offers are for individuals; no dealers please. Any applicable taxes are the responsibility of the person redeeming the coupon. No cash or other substitutions, except that Best Buy reserves the right to substitute the offer with one of equal or greater value in the event the offer is unavailable for any reason.
“The Lord Of The Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy” On Blu-Ray For The First Time November 3 From Warner Home Video