Additional details and images forthcoming.
Limited Edition (Theatrical + Extended) Version Releases
From the Press Release
From the official press release from New Line (no longer available online): Disc one presents both the Special Extended Edition and the Theatrical Edition of the film through seamless branching, while disc two features an intimate, never-before-seen documentary created by Costa Botes, the all-access filmmaker commissioned by Peter Jackson. With more than five hours of captivating, never-before-released footage, The Fellowship of the Ring Limited Edition, The Two Towers Limited Edition and The Return of the King Limited Edition are each available at a $28.98 SRP [Suggested Retail Price], and the order due date is July 25, 2006.
Given unprecedented access to the set of each production, Costa Botes was able to capture some of the most raw and riveting behind-the-scenes film footage to date. His unique approach to storytelling – allowing the footage to speak for itself – results in one of the most intimate and candid backstage passes to the challenges, preparations and camaraderie that went into shooting one of the greatest cinematic adventures of all time. The feature-length documentaries, with more than 300 minutes of never-before-available footage, focus on a number of complexities and circumstances that test the filmmakers, cast and crew during the shoot, as well as a look at some of the comical antics and personal moments on the set.
Details from Limited Edition Packaging and Inserts
The Limited Edition DVD releases for each film included one double-sided DVD, with the film split in half to fit and with both Theatrical and Extended versions seamlessly threaded on the same DVD. Each release also included one single-sided DVD with Costa Botes’ behind-the-scenes documentary for that film. Limited Editions were available individually, or in three-pack – shrink-wrapped together over a brown cardstock base box holding all three digi-pack cases.
Each of the individual film’s inserts gives the following description of the Collectible 2-Disc Set Features:
- Disc 1 – FOR THE FIRST TIME, the theatrical and extended versions of the film on one disc. [Theatrical Edition: ### minutes. Extended Edition: ### minutes.]
- Disc 2 – NEW BEHIND-THE-SCENES DOCUMENTARY featuring never-before-seen footage! Created by filmmaker Costa Botes (personally selected by Peter Jackson), these unique films use raw footage to reveal the inside story on how the greatest adventure film franchise was born.
Single-Line Synopsis, Threaded Version Lengths, and Academy Awards®
The following descriptions appear on the individual film’s insert.
The Fellowship of the Ring: “With the help of a courageous fellowship of friends and allies, Frodo embarks on a perilous mission to destroy the legendary One Ring.” Winner of four Academy Awards®.
- Theatrical Edition: 178 minutes.
- Extended Edition: 208 minutes.
The Two Towers: “In the second film of The Lord of the Rings trilogy, the breathtaking adventure continues. The Fellowship is broken, but its quest to destroy the One Ring continues.” Winner of two Academy Awards®.
- Theatrical Edition: 179 minutes.
- Extended Edition: 223 minutes.
The Return of the King: “The final battle for Middle-earth begins. Frodo and Sam, led by Gollum, continue their dangerous mission toward the fires of Mount Doom in order to destroy the One Ring.” Winner of 11 Academy Awards®, including Best Picture (2003).
- Theatrical Edition: 200 minutes.
- Extended Edition: 250 minutes.
Limited Edition Features
- “Behind-the-Scenes” documentary (see below for lengths of each movie)
- The Theatrical and Special Extended Editions of the film
- Widescreen 16×9 (2:35:1) version of the film
- Dolby Digital 5.1-EX (English)
- Stereo Surround Sound 2.0 (English)
- English and Spanish subtitles
- Closed captions
- Animated menus
Costa Botes Documentaries
- “The Fellowship of the Ring Behind-the-Scenes” documentary (85 minutes)
- “The Two Towers Behind-the-Scenes” documentary (106 minutes)
- “The Return of the King Behind-the-Scenes” documentary (112 minutes)
SDCC 2006 Eye of Sauron Keyring
This key ring has three parts:
- Antiqued bronze oval: (2″ wide x 1.375″ high) with the Eye of Sauron on one side and promotional details on the other side: “The Lord of the RingsTM. Limited Edition on DVD August 2006. www.lordoftherings.net.
- Keyring: 1.375″ in diameter and .125″ thick.
- Smaller oval: (1.25″ wide x .625″ high) with Comic Con International San Diego 2006 on one side, and the New Line Home Entertainment logo on the other side.